With some schools reopening for in-person learning over the next few weeks, now is the time to implement a few simple changes to your classroom and create a safe learning environment for all. Below are our tips to help you prepare your classroom, and ultimately your school, for a safe reopening:
- Align Desks – Start by turning all desks in your classroom (including the teacher’s) to face the same direction. Then add 6 feet of CDC recommended extra social distance space around each desk.
- Increase Aisle Space – Increase aisle width to at least 6 feet so students and teachers can move around the classroom safely.
- Add Barriers – If possible, add workstation privacy shields, especially where desks are less than 6 feet apart.
- Reorganize Storage Areas – Eliminate clutter or move unnecessary items to storage containers to free up needed space.
- Add Directional Signs – Use tape to make direction signs on the floor to encourage one-way traffic and maintain safe distance in lines.
- Add Extra Classroom Space – If you discover that your current classroom layout will not be able to support adding extra space for social distancing, consider adding portable classrooms around your campus.